Orthopaedic Surgeon, Hip & Knee Specialist
Qualifications: MB ChB, MRCS, MS, FRACS, FAOrthA
Dr. Ikram Nizam was educated in Oxford, Leicester and London before moving to Australia where he is now a leading Melbourne orthopaedic surgeon with over fifteen years of orthopaedic experience.
Anterior Hip Replacement – Surgeon Educator/Teacher
Dr. Nizam is a surgical teacher and educator of anterior hip replacement surgery techniques to surgeons around the world.
He regularly visits international centres around the world to teach this minimally invasive technique and frequently attends international meetings/conferences/surgeons to give talks / keep upto-date with advances in hip and knee surgery to achieve the best outcomes.
Dr. Nizam completed his medical degree followed by basic surgical training (BST) in England, UK.
Training in London UK:
After completing BST, he worked at a leading Orthopaedic Hospital in London for a year and worked with the renowned Miss Sarah K Muirhead-Allwood (the late Queen Mother’s Orthopaedic Surgeon) before moving to Australia where he spent time in Melbourne as a service registrar.
Post Graduate Qualifications:
Dr. Nizam completed parts 1 and 2 of MRCS (UK) and completed a Masters at University of New South Wales, Sydney.
Orthopaedic Training in Australia:
Dr. Nizam completed Advanced Orthopaedic training in Sydney, Australia.
Design and Development:
Dr. Nizam runs a Research and Development team that collaborates with national and international orthopaedic institutions and companies to design innovative techniques and technologies in minimally invasive hip and knee surgery – especially Bikini Anterior Hip Replacements and Patient Specific Knee Replacements.
He has a full time Orthopaedic Fellow (Accredited by the Australian Orthopaedic Association) who will be actively involved in orthopaedic research and assessment of patient outcomes and best orthopaedic practice so he can provide most advanced upto date current techniques and technologies to his patients.
- Designed a special alignment tool to improve the accuracy of acetabular implant placement in Bikini anterior Hip Replacement (without X-rays to limit radiation)
- Designed a soft tissue and vessel sparing approach called the Bikini hip replacement – published
- Designed Improvements and modified Patient specific blocks to improve accuracy in Patient Specific total knee replacement
- Designed special instruments in Bikini Anterior Hip Replacement surgery to enhance the minimally invasive surgical approach
- Designing pre-operative, intra operative and post operative adjuncts in hip and knee replacement surgery to improve Patient Recovery and long term Function
He spent several years researching in Sydney (Surgical and Orthopaedic Research Laboratories- Prince of Wales Hospital and Joint Orthopaedic Centre, Bondi) on fracture healing, synthetic bone grafts, joint replacements and hip resurfacing and metal-on-metal hips. (Publications and Presentations)
Lecturer and Examiner:
- Dr. Ikram Nizam is a faculty member of the Surgical Sciences Examination department – Anatomy committee of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons.
- He is also a Senior Lecturer at the University of New England NSW.
- He was also an Associate Lecturer and Examiner in the faculty of medicine at UNSW, Sydney. (Publications and Presentations)
Subspecialist Fellowship Sydney:
Dr. Nizam did his Fellowship in Sydney prior to taking his skills as an orthopaedic surgeon to Melbourne. During his Fellowship with Professor L. Kohan, he studied anterior minimally invasive surgery (AMIS) hip replacements, Hip Resurfacing techniques, total knee arthroplasty/reconstruction and revision joint replacements.
Enhanced Recovery Programme:
For over six years, Dr. Nizam closely worked with the team that developed the LIA technique for joint replacements in Sydney. The team was led by renowned orthopaedic surgeons Dr. D. Kerr and Prof L. Kohan. Dr. Nizam witnessed excellent outcomes following joint replacements, hip resurfacings, revision surgery and other orthopaedic procedures enabling early mobilisation and discharge after a single overnight stay in hospital and reduced post-operative complications.
Subspecialist Fellowship London:
Dr. Nizam completed subspecialist fellowship training at the University College Hospital under (Professor Fares Haddad) in London, UK. This was a tertiary referral centre for complex hip and knee replacements, revision and reconstructive surgery of hips and knees, ACL reconstructions, hip arthroscopy and sports surgery. This intensive environment prepared him for the Melbourne orthopaedic surgeon environment.
Dr. Nizam is also a scientific reviewer for the Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (JBJS- Br) and Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England. His aim is to provide his patients with the most up-to-date information and orthopaedic surgeon practices, complying with the most recent advances in the field.
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Associate Fellow of the Australian Orthopaedic Association
- Member of the Royal College of Surgeons (UK-Glasg).
- Member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member of the British Orthopaedic Association